Before we start discussing White Silica Gel in details, let’s first have a fundamental idea of silica gel and what it is used for? Silica gel is a transformed formation of silicon dioxide (SiO2) that consists of the capability to absorb moisture and humidity present in the natural atmosphere and keep things dry, humid-free and moisture free as well. This is the prime reason why silica gel packets are used in packaging of new things. You’ll find a number of uses of silica gel sachets in human life. Starting from the bags of beef jerky to dried seaweed containers, vitamin bottles Continue Reading->
Silica Gel beads
Among all the desiccants available in the market, Silica Gel is the most popular. It is mainly used for its high absorption quality as well as large surface area. The Silica Gel is mainly available in the following forms – beads, balls and granular form. Silica Gel beads are mainly packed along with items like shoes, electronic goods, clothes and sometimes snacks. They absorb all the excess moisture present in the closed spaces thus making sure that the packed products are not affected by the presence of moisture.
Silica Gel beads are available as indicating as well as non-indicating. Indicating includes Silica Gel blue, Silica Gel orange and Silica Gel pink among others. While there are many Silica Gel applications, in this article we will take a look at the seven most important uses of the desiccant:
- Moisture absorption in various industries: Silica Gel has a very important function as dehumidifier. Silica Gel dehumidifier is widely used for moisture and water drying, cutting across industries. These include oil and natural gas, air conditioners, food processing, electronic goods and pharmaceuticals. Here, the Silica Gel humidifier will absorb all the moisture present in the system, thus ensuring the proper functioning of machinery.
- In transformers: Transformers make use of Silica Gel blue beads to make sure that no moisture molecules hamper their proper functioning. In the breathing process, air flows inside and outside the transformer through expansion and contraction of the oil present inside. The presence of moisture will hamper the smooth functioning of the transformer. This is where the role of Silica Gel beads becomes important as it will absorb all the moisture.
- Aviation Military Equipment: Silica Gel also has an important role in the aviation military sector. It is used to keep all military equipment moisture-free as moisture will have a very harmful effect on the equipment and may even hamper its functioning.
- Bulk Dehydration process: Silica Gel beads are the best option if one wants to undertake a dehydration process on a large scale. One can easily use a Silica Gel dehumidifier as it has high absorption qualities and can take in more moisture over a larger area.
- Keep engines moisture-free during storage: When small engines are not being used and are kept in storage then there are chances of moisture molecules accumulating. This can prove harmful for the engines. So it is advised to use silica gel beads to remove water vapour from the engines in order for them to work properly.
- Air conditioners: Silica Gel blue or Silica Gel orange must be placed with air conditioners in order to ensure that moisture molecules do not affect their working. Water vapour presence in air conditioners does not spell good news for the latter.
Keep tools oxidation-free: Make use of Silica Gel crystals in your tool box. The Silica gel will absorb all the moisture present in the tool box and keep it dry. A dry tool box will also prevent against oxidation of the tools.